Ana Ribeiro da Cunha
Diabetes Mellitus is a chronic disease that affects more than 1 million Portuguese, predicting that more than 1 in 10 individuals is diabetic.
It is a treacherous disease because it evolves asymptomatically for around 10 to 15 years and when it is diagnosed, it has already and systemically developed complications in various organs:
- Heart (angina pectoris or acute myocardial infarction);
- Central nervous system (stroke);
- Kidneys (diabetic nephropathy);
- Retina (with progressive loss of sight and diabetic retinopathy which is the 1st cause of blindness in Portugal);
- Peripheral arterial disease (which is one of the most serious complications and can lead to amputation of the lower limbs when left untreated);
- Diabetic neuropathy, which is also debilitating and incapacitating.
With a prior assessment by a specialist nurse, the DIABETOLOGY CONSULTATION is carried out by an experienced and specialised doctor in this area, Dr Ana Ribeiro da Cunha, thus gathering all the conditions for us to respond to all patients who need to see their diabetes controlled and therefore, minimising the consequences of this disease