Immuno-allergology

Imunoalergologia
Imunoalergologia
Pedro Lopes da Mata

Pedro Lopes da Mata

Susana Marques

Susana Marques

Marta Neto

Marta Neto

Elena Finelli

Elena Finelli

Ana Castro Neves

Ana Castro Neves

The Specialty

Allergic diseases reach between 25 to 30% of the population and by the year 2050 one in each two people could be affected.

There are several forms of manifestation of allergic diseases such as, rhinitis, conjunctivitis, asthma, hives, eczema, gastrointestinal problems and most severely anaphylaxis that can be fatal.

An allergic patient can manifest various allergic diseases all at the same time or suffer from them all through his or her lifespan.

The main causes are the dust mites and pollens representing the major part, additionally and in large numbers are identified the allergies related to pets, mould, poisoning and medication allergy such as latex and contact allergy.

Allergy to food are many. If we aggregate the egg, wheat, peanut and cow milk, soya, fish, sea food, we may find justifications for more than 80% of the food allergies… the other 20% is, many times, a detective work that shall be practiced by the doctor.

To answer these diagnostic needs is, most of the times difficult and time consuming The specialty of immune allergology  is to identify all the allergic elements and  propose treatments that can pass from avoiding  the allergic source, use proper medication and immunotherapy ( anti allergic vaccines) without forgetting the importance of education and the complicity  and empathy that must be created between patient and doctor.